In this topic show dedicated to icons Per and James look at what icons are, why we, as designers, make use of them and what we can do to make them more understandable and accessible.
Icons are everywhere; we rarely seem to create (visual) interfaces without them – but are they always understood? “Universally recognised icons” is a bit of an oxymoron…
(Listening time: 34 minutes, transcript)
- Full transcript for episode 244
- How to test your website’s iconography (the article that got us thinking about icons)
- Can icons harm usability and when should you use them?
- Icon Usability
- Rorschach test
- The Problem With Icons
- Symbol grounding problem
- Lisbon airport toilet signage (Tweet by James)
- Reliable and Valid SVG Accessibility
- The Curious Case of the Failed Pictogram
- Send us your thoughts at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Backstage mailing list: Sign up here
- Enjoy the episode? Support UX Podcast