Carolyn Wilson-Nash together with Julie Tinson, both from Stirling University, published a research paper entitled ‘I am the master of my fate’: digital technology paradoxes and the coping strategies of older consumers.
Carolyn joins us to talk more about her research and the impact technology has on older people’s lives.
We discuss what we mean by “older adults” and how age groupings, naming them, and “cut-offs” are contentious. Carolyn explains technological paradoxes and takes us through the 6 paradoxes of technology surfaced in her research and some of the coping strategies that people adopt.
(Listening time: 46 minutes, transcript)
#282 Older adults and tech with @DrCags87 – We talk about the paradoxes of technology surfaced in her research and some of the coping strategies that people adopt.https://t.co/bBnApCwAFv#ux #podcast #uxpodcast pic.twitter.com/LI3tY4SOC4— UX Podcast (@uxpodcast) February 11, 2022
- Full transcript for episode 282
- Carolyn Wilson Nash
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carolyn-wilson-nash-28795299/
- Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Carolyn-Wilson-Nash
- University Profile: https://www.stir.ac.uk/people/429570#aboutme
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/drcags87
- ‘I am the master of my fate’: digital technology paradoxes and the coping strategies of older consumers (research paper by Carolyn Wilson-Nash and Julie Tinson)
- Demography (Wikipedia)
- Paradox (Wikipedia)
- Technology and society (Wikipedia)
- Social Connectedness, Excessive Screen Time During COVID-19 and Mental Health: A Review of Current Evidence
- Industries & Tech Shaping The Post-Covid World
- Is it love or loneliness? Exploring the impact of everyday digital technology use on the wellbeing of older adults (research paper by Carolyn Wilson-Nash)
- How older people are mastering technology to stay connected after lockdown
- Episode 118: Inclusive design with Sara Lerén
- Episode 196: Accessibility for designers
- Backstage mailing list (show notes to your inbox, plus extra stories, news and offers): Sign up here
- Enjoying UX Podcast? Contribute with your time as a volunteer, or with real cash to help keep the podcast running: Support UX Podcast