Mental health is something that isn’t discussed openly at the workplace. The tech industry has a higher rate of mental health issues than many other industries. Stress, burn-out, bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety. We talked to Jennifer Akullian, psychologist, coach and former mental health practitioner.
We don’t talk about mental health because of stigma. Throughout history people with mental health issues are stigmatised and excluded. How can we reduce the stigma? How can we be more understanding and inclusive with colleagues who are managing mental heath issues? Can we help prevent burn-out?
(Listening time: 33 minutes, transcript)
— UX Podcast (@uxpodcast) November 9, 2018
- Full transcript of Episode 197
- Growth Coaching Institute (Jennifer’s company)
- Video of Jennifer’s presentation Mental health in Tech
- Open Source Mental Illness
- MHPrompt (promoting discussion of mental health at conferences and meetups)
- Mood weather a webapp for sharing your mood by James
- Episode 106: Imposter syndrome
- Episode 176: Interview with Kelly Santiago
- Get in touch: email@example.com
- Backstage mailing list: Sign up here