We often find ourselves in stressful situations. Sometimes that’s expected, but sometimes it’s not. The same can be said about the things we design. Sometimes we knowingly design for stressful situations, but sometimes our designs are used (unexpectedly to us) by people while under stress. Katie Swindler, Author of Life and Death Design joins us to discuss designing for stressful situations.
We discuss the different situations in which we use digital products and services while stressed, how our stress response works (and how it affects us), designing for experts versus designing for consumers. We also talk about intuition – ours as designers and that of the people who use our designs.
“People develop intuition around how websites should work. And when your website violates those expectations… that triggers our intuitive sense of danger… and we treat things that are unexpected as dangerous.”
(Listening time: 44 minutes, transcript)
- Full transcript for episode 293
- Katie Swindler:
- Life and Death Design (Rosenfeld Media)
- Curb cut effect
- Episode 270: Design for safety with Eva Penzeymoog
- UX Podcast on Mastodon
- Ambition Empower and UX Podcast
- Make sure to use the code uxpodcast if you sign up for a $100/€100/1000 sek discount and at the same time help support UX Podcast
- Backstage mailing list (show notes to your inbox, plus extra stories, news and offers): Sign up here
- Enjoying UX Podcast? Contribute with your time as a volunteer, or make a small financial contribution to help keep the podcast running: Support UX Podcast