For a number of years Steve Portigal has been collecting user research war stories. The stories describe experiences researchers have had whilst doing fieldwork. Awkward, morally challenging, painful, unsuccessful.
We talk to Steve about the benefits of sharing our stories – good and bad – and the ethically challenging situations that field research can place you in.
(Listening time: 34 minutes)
— UX Podcast (@uxpodcast) January 20, 2017
- Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries – Steve’s book
- War Stories on Steve’s blog
- Jenn’s War Story: Burns, Bandaids, and BBQ
- Diane’s War Story: Interrupted Interview
- Dennis’s War Story: Negotiating between sympathy and empathy
- Jon’s War Story: Beware of Trap Doors
- IDEO’s Little Book of Design Research Ethics
- Episode 112: Brain Food with Steve Portigal, Pete Trainor and Anjan Chatterjee