Brad Frost joins us to talk about the nitty gritty of collaborating to create and manage design systems. We look back at the journey from responsive design to atomic design to design systems, and discuss the challenges with developing design systems and how important collaboration and culture are in order to succeed.
We have a look at the critisism that “consistency” isn’t always desirable, and we decide to rename design systems “flirkles.” – which leads into a discussion about the value and importance of naming things.
(Listening time: 40 minutes, transcript)
- Full transcript for episode 268
- Brad’s website.
- Brad’s talk at FBTB 2021
- Atomic design ebook
- This is responsive (blog post by Brad)
- CSS Zen Garden
- Object-oriented code
- Creating and organizing variants
- Canola oil and insect repellant
- Dan Mall
- From Business To Buttons (Swedish UX conference)
- Container queries
- Episode 51: Future friendly with Brad Frost
- Episode 163: Design systems with Jina Anne
- Episode 135: Object oriented UX with Sophia Prater (nee Voychehovski)
- Backstage mailing list: Sign up here
- Found the episode helpful? Help keep the podcast running by Supporting UX Podcast