Episode 252 is a linkshow. Per and James discuss two articles that have grabbed their attention – We discuss a number of serious issues that the design industry faces plus we take a look at “Stories” and their abundance.
2 years since Tom’s book Articulating Design Decisions was released we catch up with him again and ask what he’s learnt – is there anything he would now do differently? What have readers of the book found challenging?
Jina Anne joins us to talk design systems. Jina has for a number of years worked as the lead designer with the Lightning Design System at Salesforce and has been working with style guides since 2004. We dive right in and ask what a design system. How do you make sure people stick to the design system? How flexible or rigid should it be?
We talk to Tom Greever about Articulating Design Decisions. How do we talk about our designs effectively with stakeholders? Every designer has to explain (and justify) their design decisions to non-designers but what are the skills tactics and methods that are needed to pull this off in a way that opens the door for your project to create or improve the user experience?
It’s so easy to add a little rectangle to a wireframe, but what are the consequences of adding an image to your design? Are images good or bad for UX? How can we improve our design processes so that we take the impact of images properly into account?
In this topic show Per and James look into how to design with images and how the performance of your website is a critical part of the user experience and should be a central part of your design process.
(Listening time: 52 minutes, Size: 36MB)
— UX Podcast (@uxpodcast) January 8, 2016
- Images – good or bad for UX?
- Mosiac web browser (wikipedia)
- http archive interesting stats (December 2015)
- Page bloat update: The average web page is more than 2 MB in size
- WPO stats
- Responsive Workflow
- Responsive design workflow by Stephen Hay
- Code pen and w3ss and James’s example wireframe
- WEEE Image optimizer plugin for WordPress
- Smush it online image optimiser imgopt
- Setting a web performance budget
- Processing Fluency: The Missing Link in UX
- Featured image by Baldiri (CC BY 2.0)